Friday 30 September 2011

Aileen Wuornos Activity Two

Aileen Carol Wuornos (29 February 1956 – 9 October 2002) was an American serial killer who killed seven men in Florida between 1989 and 1990, claiming they raped or attempted to rape her while she was working as a prostitute. She was convicted and sentenced to death for six of the murders and executed by lethal injection on October 9, 2002.

Wuornos' appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court was denied in 1996. In 2001, she announced that she would not issue any further appeals against her death sentence. She petitioned the Florida Supreme Court for the right to fire her legal counsel and stop all appeals, saying, "I killed those men, robbed them as cold as ice. And I'd do it again, too. There's no chance in keeping me alive or anything, because I'd kill again. I have hate crawling through my system...I am so sick of hearing this 'she's crazy' stuff. I've been evaluated so many times. I'm competent, sane, and I'm trying to tell the truth. I'm one who seriously hates human life and would kill again. A defense attorney argued that she was in no state for them to honor such a request, he requested three psychiatrists to analyse her and give their judgement.
My personal opinion on Aileen after watching the documentary is that she has become deluded, she seemed to have changed her story and made herself believe it, however she does seem like an honest and genuine. I believe that she did deserve the death penalty because of the 7 murders. She received multiple death sentences and they were finally carried out. I believe that Nick Broomfield did not give full details of the story, there is a lot to Aileen's story that he could have gotten to make the documentary less biast.
  • Documentaries
Filmmaker Nick Broomfield directed two documentaries about Wuornos:

No comments:

Post a Comment